At West End Academy, we believe that attending school regularly is important to ensure the best possible learning outcomes for all of our children. Everyone in our whole school community takes responsibility for attendance. Attending school regularly means:
- Children can make the most of their education, improving their chances in adult life.
- Children will develop their social skills, such as making and keeping friendships.
- A regular and punctual attendance pattern will help children when they enter the world of work.
We reward good attendance in a variety of ways.
Displayed in the school hall is our Attendance Tree for Years 1 to 6. On the tree, each class has their own branch. Each week, children have their attendance monitored in preparation for Tuesday’s assembly. In Tuesday’s assembly, each class has their attendance percentage from the previous week shared with the school and classes receive a reward:
- For 100% attendance – a golden apple for their branch, a golden trophy for their classroom and 5 points.
- For the highest attendance (less than 100%) – a red apple for their branch, a golden trophy for their classroom and 3 points.
- For the runners-up (2nd highest attendance) – a green leaf for their branch, a silver trophy for their classroom and 2 points.
- For the 3rd highest attendance – an orange leaf for their branch and 1 point.
At the end of each half term the class with the most points on their branch will receive a small monetary amount to spend on a new resource for their class.
Children who achieve 98% attendance over a half term will earn themselves a Golden Raffle Ticket. Each class has a golden box where the half termly tickets are collected. At the end of the half term, all the collected tickets will be placed in the school’s golden box ready for winners to be drawn out. Two raffle tickets will be drawn from the box for a 1st and 2nd prize. The winners can choose from a selection of vouchers to share with their family.The following vouchers are currently on offer: Cineworld, Xscape or 'Love2Shop' which can be spent at a variety of stores.
At the end of each term, all the children with 100% attendance will receive a certificate. At the end of the year, the children with 100% throughout the whole year will receive a £5 gift voucher.
Please click here to find more advice for parents.